This section is meant to be an handy reference guide for honing the craft of writing after the basics are mastered. For beginner information, visit LEARNING LINKS > LANGUAGE ARTS. The non-online resources in this section are available at our local library, unless otherwise noted.
NOTEBOOKS AND NOTE TAKING
http://lsc.cornell.edu/LSC_Resources/cornellsystem.pdf – Note taking 101
http://www.staidens homeschool.com/Unit Studies
http://notebookingfairy.com/Notebooking how tos
http://notebookingpages.com – Not a free program, but offers some FREE resources.
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2013/08/unsplash-another-good-source-of-free.html – Good Source of Free Images
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2014/02/using-google-slides-to-organize-research.html – How to Use Google Slides to Organize Research
RESOURCES FOR CONCEPT MAPS AND MIND MAPPING
- http://justabitmoore.weebly.com/concept-maps.html – explains concept maps
- http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/index.php – FREE Concept Map software
- https://coggle.it – Coggle mind mapping software – use for brainstorming
- http://yeahacademy.net/socialstudies.htm – “This course includes additional reading, written and oral assignments, map work and a variety of projects. It also provides instruction on the art of mind mapping and outlining as note-taking techniques.”
WRITING REVIEW AND ADVANCED WRITING VIDEOS
- http://www.watchknowlearn.org/Category.aspx?CategoryID=4981 – Videos
- http://player.discoveryeducation.com/views/hh_httpView.cfm?guidAssetId=96C91EC9-15F6-4F24-8E4C-26148904AE98 – A 3:23 minute video about organizing ideas into paragraphs.
- http://www.sdteach.com/subjects/english/composition-writing/schlessinger-s-writing-for-chidren-series-dvd.html – Schlessinger media videos are one of my favorite library resources. We check them out on a weekly basis.
- http://education-portal.com/academy/course/college-composition-writing-course.html – College level writing instruction
- For information on how to write a science report, visit SCIENCE FAIR filed under SCIENCE filed under LEARNING LINKS.
GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION REVIEW
- http://www.grammarly.com – Grammarly
- http://www.facebook.com/grammarly – grammar funnies
- http://www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/grammar – NC State Online Writing Lab and Grammar Hotline
- http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl – Online writing lab
- http://www.grammar-monster.com/admin/grammar_errors_by_seriousness.htm – extensive list of common mistakes
CITING SOURCES FOR BIBLIOGRAPHIES
- http://www.easybib.com – Free Automatic Bibliography and Citation Generator
- http://www.easybib.com/reference/guide/mla/website – How to Cite a Website in MLA
- http://www.studygs.net/wrtstr5.htm – Organizing research with note cards
- http://www.historydaycalifornia.org/contest – Art of Research: Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Sources
- Cite Right by Charles Lipson [c2011] – a quick guide to citation styles
- http://www.merriam-webster.com – Much more that JUST a dictionary. We visit this site almost daily for definitions and their educational videos.
- http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/english –
- http://www.thefreedictionary.com –
- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/praxis?s=t –
- http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/media/spelling-bee-2011 –
- http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Dictionary.html –
- http://spanish.dictionary.com – Spanish-English dictionary
Sure you could read a dictionary, but these are more fun:
- http://freerice.com – vocabulary practice
- http://www.wordcentral.com/buzzword/buzzword.php – Daily Buzzword, Word Games, Build Your Dictionary at Merriam-Webster
- http://www.rhymezone.com – Find rhymes, synonyms, definitions, and more.
- http://www.vocabsmith.com – Adaptive Vocabulary Building for SAT, GRE, GMAT and CAT
- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flomox – verses flummox
- Homophone Horror – The title of a funny letter filled words that sound right, but are spelled wrong intentionally.
- http://www.word-detective.com – The Word Detective will research the origin of words or phrases upon your request.
- http://www.mrjonathan.com/mxrm9files/GrammarPages/prefixes%20&%20Sufixes%20Dictionary.pdf – The best reference for Latin and Greek roots is A Dictionary of Prefixes, Suffixes, and Combining Forms from Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged 2002. You can download it for FREE.
- http://www.visualthesaurus.com/howitworks – The Visual Thesaurus is an interactive dictionary and thesaurus which creates word maps that blossom with meanings and branch to related words.
WRITING PRACTICE VIA BLOGS AND EMAIL
Email and blogs are simple ways to encourage your child to express himself with the added bonus of a date stamp on each post. This makes it easy to track progress over time.
- http://www.knittedthoughts.com/2011/03/teaching-writing-with-blogs.html – Teaching Writing with Blogs!
- http://blog.homeschooling-ideas.com/homeschooled-kids-blog-carnival-28 – Homeschooled Kids Blog Carnival #28
- The Freedom Writers Diary with Erin Gruwell [c1999] – How a teacher and 150 teens used writing to change themselves and the world around them.
- https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=mail – Email
- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDF1006FDAAE1D4FF – Basic instructions on how to use Gmail.
- http://www.youtube.com/user/casttv/videos?view=1&flow=grid – Gmail instructions
- http://wordpress.com – Blogging is a great tool to help my child express his thoughts in print. This is an easy format to write stories to go along with photos. I like WordPress because it has easy-to-use features. I especially like the privacy features. My child can have parts of his blog public and parts of it password protected for sharing with friends and family only.
- http://wordpress.tv – WordPress instruction
- http://bookbuilder.cast.org – Book Builder: Create, share, publish, and read digital books that engage and support diverse learners according to their individual needs, interests, and skills.
- ePublish: self-publish fast and profitably for Kindle, iPhone, CreateSpace and Print on Demand by Steve Weber
- http://www.tikatok.com/help/faq#faq_2 – It is free to join Tikatok! You will only need to pay when you order a hardcover, paperback, or eBook of your or your child’s original story.
- http://www.serif.com/desktop-publishing-software/?MC=SERPPCFDPaP – Free publishing software by Serif
- http://www.ebay-articles.com/ Sell-Books-and-Videos-On-eBay.html – how to create Books and Videos to sell on eBay
- How to Publish Your eBook on Amazon – Publishing A Book for Profit
* * *
“A Christian student’s purpose in learning the art of debate should always
be to develop life skills that will help him or her glorify God and love others,
whether by defending God’s truth, standing up for the needy,
or persuading lost people to come to the Savior.”
* * *
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”