Apologia Educational Ministries publishes my favorite science curriculum. There are more books to choose from then what I show in our schedule. The following is what we have done or plan to do:
05th grade – Exploring Creation with Astronomy. We also studied weather.
06th grade – Exploring Creation with Botany. We also studied herbal remedies.
07th grade – Exploring Creation with General Science. We also studied health.
08th grade – Exploring Creation with Physical Science. Plan to study permaculture.
09th grade – Exploring Creation with Biology
10th grade – Exploring Creation with Chemistry
11th grade – Exploring Creation with Physics
12th grade – Exploring Creation with Advanced Physics or Advanced Chemistry
Studying vocabulary before reading the chapter they first appear in makes the lesson easier to absorb. When I do not have time to make flashcards and speed typing tests, I gather flashcard sets made by others. A list of flashcard sites can be found in LEARNING LINKS.
My student begins by having terms read to him by me or Quizlet. After he has mastered pronunciation, he skips between Quizlet games and speed typing tests until he has mastered a set. I spread large lists across several batches of 10-15 terms per set so my student doesn’t spin out on overwhelm.
- http://quizlet.com/Hemet_Sonshine – Flashcards I made or like
The following links are related to Apologia science textbooks:
- http://www.apologiaonline.com/bookextras – additional resources from the publisher
- http://jeanniefulbright.com/apologia-science – Here is a list of elementary science curriculum offered by Apologia. They were first printed in 2004. If you buy a used textbook, I suggest the 6th edition printed in 2009 or newer.
- http://www.JeannieFulbright.com and http://www.JeanniesJournal.com – science book author
- http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-math-science – schedules
- http://donnayoung.org/apologia/index.htm – FREE resources such as forms, tests, co-op teaching schedules, and additional resource suggestions for Apologia’s Science Curriculum
- http://www.apologia.com/prodas.php – Science curriculum for K-12.
- http://www.creationsensation.com – offers ready-made lab kits
- http://blog.drwile.com/?page_id=4 – Dr. Jay L. Wile, author middle and high school science books
- http://www.blogtalkradio.com/1smartmama/2013/10/02/leighlunch-wednesday-oct-2nd-2013 – Excellent interview of Dr. Jay Wile.
I highly recommend joining an Apologia forum. The files section in each group holds a treasure trove of additional resources graciously shared for free such as ready made lab sheets and tests:
- http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com – FREE online homeschool co-op
If you would like to do science with us, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To view science projects we have done or are interested in doing, please visit http://hemetsunshine.wordpress.com.
* * *
RESOURCES FOR FIELD TRIPS
I take educating myself and my son seriously. In this age of “scientific enlightenment,” we are often bombarded with the evolutionist point of view. In preparation I use my own study guides for comparison. Here are my favorite resources:
- Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo Guides (Bible-based handbooks) by Answers in Genesis
- Unwrapping the Pharaohs: How Egyptian Archaeology Confirms the Biblical Timeline by John Ashton and David Down. Book and audio CD.
- Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution I-II by Dr. Jobe Martin. Video series.
- Jonathan Park Series by Pat Roy. Audio series.
- https://archive.org/details/Atc26JonathanPark-TheCopperScrollReviewPatRoyInterview – Learn about Pat Roy
- http://www.answersingenesis.org – Learn about Answers in Genesis
- https://answersingenesis.org/answers/books – Free books
For science-related opportunities and field trips, visit:
- http://hemetsunshine.wordpress.com/category/events-groups-places – This is a link to my other blog. Its focus is on Do-It-Yourself projects and permaculture design.