WRITING AND GRAMMAR
For 7th grade writing instruction we are using Teaching Writing: Structure and Style by Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW). For resources for more independent writers, see REFERENCE DESK filed under MY REFERENCE DESK.
For grammar, we are using Our Mother tongue: A Guide to English Grammar by Nancy Wilson. It is geared for junior high and above. After it is used for grammar instruction, the book will be kept for reference.
RESOURCES FOR IEW AND YOUR MOTHER TONGUE
- IEW offers FREE Webinars each Monday evening at 4:30-5:30 pm
- http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/free-downloads – Here is an audio introduction to their writing curriculum.
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies – Whether you use IEW or not, this group has great resources in the files section.
- IEW August 2012 updates for Medieval writing course – http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies/files/Theme%20Based%20Writing%20Lessons/Medieval%20Based%20Helps%20%28MHW%29/
- http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/TCS_Lesson_Plans.pdf – Teaching the Classics Seminar – This class is suitable for middle and high school students.
- http://quizlet.com/11972647/iew-medieval-writing-history-based-lessons-flash-cards – vocabulary for IEW Medieval writing
- The Story of English [DVD] – recommended by Your Mother Tongue
MISCELLANEOUS RESOURCES FOR WRITING
- http://www.eduplace.com/tales – fun writing prompts
- http://www.funbrain.com/brain/ReadingBrain/Games/Game.html?GameName=MadLibsOnceUponA&Brain=reading&GameNumber=2&Color=FFFFFF – fun writing prompts
- http://www.scribblitt.com – Becoming a member gives you free access to creating stories, comics, illustrations and the ability to publish your own work and make your own special products.
- http://tamingtheoctopus-themanyarmsofwriting.blogspot.com/2012/09/boys-writing-or-trying-to-write.html – Boys Writing, or Trying to Write
- http://www.litart.com/weblog/three-types-of-questions-to-build-comprehension – Three Types of Questions to Build Comprehension – Literal, inferential, and evaluative questions help learners monitor their comprehension.
- http://www.time4writing.com/free-writing-resources – 8-week course
- http://www.spellingcity.com/writing-prompts-that-motivate.html – Writing Prompts that Motivate
- http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/everyday_writer3e/20errors/default.asp – 20 most common errors
- http://scratch.mit.edu – With Scratch, you can program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community. Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively — essential skills for life in the 21st century.
- http://www.buzzfeed.com/moerder/fancy-literary-techniques-explained-by-disney?sub=2389431_1326813 – 16 Fancy Literary Techniques Explained By Disney
- http://writingenglish.wordpress.com/2006/09/18/ten-common-writing-mistakes-your-spell-checker-won%E2%80%99t-find – Common mistakes
GRAMMAR SONGS, GAMES AND VIDEOS
- School House Rock – Available at our local library
- Standard Deviants – Available at our local library
- http://www.learnerstv.com/Free-Language-Video-lectures-ltv201-Page1.htm – grammar games
- http://www.engvid.com – grammar games
- http://www.letstalkpodcast.com/english_grammar_video.html – grammar games
- http://www.funenglishgames.com/videos/grammar.html – grammar games
- http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/02/grammaropolis-fun-grammar-games-videos.html#.UGRFC1EoHCY – grammar games
- http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2234325/free_grammar_lessons – grammar games
- http://videoclips.mrdonn.org/languagearts.html – grammar games
- http://www.vrml.k12.la.us/curriculum/schoolhouserock/language_shr.htm – grammar games
- http://free-ed.net/free-ed/Resources/Arts/English/EngGrammarVids01.asp – grammar games
- http://www.mindbites.com/category/26-english-grammar – grammar games
- http://school.discoveryeducation.com/homeworkhelp/english/english_homework_help.html?campaign=DE&CFID=650792&CFTOKEN=54837943 – grammar games
- http://www.englishmedialab.com – grammar games
- http://www.addictinggames.com/funny-games/grammarninja.jsp – grammar games
MISCELLANEOUS GRAMMAR INSTRUCTION
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRMRCeQBAKI – 38 Common Spelling and Grammar Errors – mental_floss – A weekly show hosted by John Green
- http://donnayoung.org/english/index.htm – planning guide for Language Art
- http://www.grammarly.com – World’s Most Accurate Grammar Checker
- http://nfahm.blogspot.com/2012/03/so-grateful-for-grammar-writing.html – So grateful for grammar writing software
- http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/grammarvalue.htm – Why Does Grammar Matter? by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)