Electives are above and beyond basic academics. It is a good idea to encourage at least one elective per year starting in 6th grade.
The typical electives offered in public school are:
- Foreign Language
- Home Economics
- PE or Physical Education
- Theatre Arts
Allowing for diverse educational paths is what homeschool freedom is all about. The following are ideas for electives on basic life skills:
- http://mysuperchargedlife.com/blog/40-things-to-teach-my-kids-before-they-leave-home – 40 Things To Teach My Kids Before They Leave Home
- http://raisingolives.com/2012/05/teaching-kids-cook-moms – Teaching kids to cook. See also Kids in the Kitchen. Welcome to this week’s edition of 4Moms, 35 Kids: How Moms of Many Manage.
- http://www.frugalhomeschoolfamily.com/2013/08/06/frugal-homeschool-family-exclusive-meal-planning-printables – Meal planning
- http://www.hemetusd.k12.ca.us/edserv/pupilsvc/health/info/area_clnc1.pdf – CPR and First Aid Classes
- http://www.fema.gov – Making A Plan For Severe Weather
- Auto mechanics, residential electricity, home plumbing are all courses you can include under electives. Our local library has many resources for beginners.
- Check back.
The following are random ideas for electives that relate to our interests:
- https://www.coursera.org/course/opv – Organic Solar Cells – Theory and Practice
- Learn how to remove malware and virus from a computer.
- Learn how to assemble a computer from just parts.
- Learn how to make robotic vehicles from scavenged parts.
- Learn how to code Minecraft modes.