The following resources offer instruction for multiple subjects.
There are numerous benefits to digital flashcards. One unusual benefit I discovered is using flashcard programs to decide which curriculum to own. I appreciate not having to create flashcard sets, whenever that is possible, so much so that it was worth reviewing several flashcard sets on Latin in order to decide which curriculum to own.
Of course the usual benefits are that my student uses flashcards because I can insure that all main points and key vocabulary terms that I want him to remember receive extra attention. His memory retention improves when he studies vocabulary terms before reading them in a textbook. Terms can be reviewed as often as necessary and in audio format to improve pronunciation.
My student’s memory trick is to type text that he needs to memorize before testing his knowledge on the digital flashcards. To make a typing test, he simply copies a term from a digital flashcard to a typing program. This offers the added benefit of touch typing practice. Our current favorite typing test program is listed first. For more information about typing and memorizing, visit TYPING AND MEMORIZING filed under ELECTIVES under LEARNING LINKS. I list several digital flashcard programs because sometimes I have to look in other programs to find the set I want.
- http://www.speedtypingonline.com/typing-test – This is our favorite FREE typing test.
- http://quizlet.com/subject/latin – This is our favorite FREE flashcard program.
- http://www.myfreeflashcards.com – These are ready-made for K-6 graders.
MULTIPLE SUBJECT RESOURCES FOR K-12
- http://www.khanacademy.org – video – Khan offers 4,100+ videos in the categories math, science and economics, computer, humanities, and SAT test prep.
- http://www.surfnetkids.com/go/video – video – Surf Net Kids
- http://www.schooltube.com – School Tube – The Best Videos from Students and Teachers Everywhere
- http://www.thehomeschoolchannel.tv – video – Homeschool TV
- http://www.hulu.com/documentaries – video – history
- http://www.filmsforaction.org/walloffilms – video – Films for Action
- http://www.youtube.com/user/KidsTV123?feature=watch – video – Kids TV
- http://www.pbs.org/programs – video
- http://www.neok12.com – videos
- http://www.schoolyardfilms.org – video – environmental films for children
- http://www.discoveryeducation.com – videos
- http://www.watchknowlearn.org/default.aspx – videos
- http://www.E-learninglinks.com – videos, games and articles
- http://learner.org – videos
- HippoCampus.org – videos – Offer quality K-College online educational content.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools – videos
- http://store.compasscinema.com/categories.php?category=Free-Downloads – FREE DOWNLOADS for Economics, Greek, Latin, history…
MULTIPLE SUBJECT LINKS FOR K-12 AND COLLEGE
The following sites offer FREE content for beyond K-12. Many also offer excellent advice on how to thrive in school.
- http://www.khanacademy.org – FREE K-12 and higher education videos
- http://www.facebook.com/OpenSourcingEducation – Open Sourcing Education
- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Yale-Courses/70753963666 – Yale
- http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm – MIT Open Courseware
- http://www.youtube.com/education – YouTube Ed FREE K-12 and beyond
- http://www.coursera.org – FREE online universities and advice for students
- http://www.edx.org – FREE online classes
- http://www.udacity.com – FREE online classes
- http://www.onlineuniversities.com – FREE online classes & advice for students
- http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses – Open Culture – FREE online university
- hwww.ocwconsortium.org – FREE educational content
- http://www.refseek.com/directory/educational_videos.html –
- http://www.academicearth.org – Academic Earth – FREE online lectures
- http://lifehacker.com/5185679/youtube-edu-brings-free-education-to-the-masses – An article about FREE online universities
- http://chronicle.com – Chronicle – Articles about higher education
- http://education-portal.com/academy/course/college-composition-writing-course.html – Education Portal
- http://wakeup-world.com/2011/06/20/100-free-online-tools-to-learn-a-new-skill-in-almost-anything – zillions of online tutorials
ARTICLES ABOUT EDUCATIONAL ONLINE AUDIOS AND VIDEOS
Many of the following articles contain extensive lists of great educational videos. There are far more sites than I will take the time to post.
- http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html – Let’s use video to reinvent education by Salman Khan
- http://voices.yahoo.com/get-free-educational-videos-homeschool-using-the-5983312.html?cat=4 – article – Get Free Educational Videos for Homeschool Using the Internet Archive
- *http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2010/09/47-alternatives-to-using-youtube-in.html#.ULvlToYoHCY – 47+ Alternatives to Using YouTube in the Classroom – many videos
- *http://satorismiles.com/resources/discovery-education-streaming – many videos
- http://hedua.com/hedua – Home Educating Family Association
- http://noexcuselist.com – article
- http://lf10.wordpress.com – article – Middle School stop-motion project
- http://homeschoolblogging.com/find-a-blogger – article
- http://free.ed.gov/subjects.cfm?subject_id=41 – article – tips and links
- http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=blog/teaching-tips –
- http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html – articles – Rich with resources for elementary.
- http://www.nrocnetwork.org – article – The National Repository of Online Courses develops and distributes high-quality online content to a worldwide audience.
- http://freeandfrugalhomeschooling.blogspot.com – zillions of videos
- http://www.facebook.com/SchoolmarmDeb – Miss Debbie teaches in Hemet. Her site has articles, games and politics related to education and parenting.
- http://www.facebook.com/groups/141246899352771 – Free Lessons for Caregivers and Teachers
- http://www.facebook.com/khanacademy?ref=ts&fref=ts – Khan Academy on FB. If you are passionate about education, this site will feed you!
- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Education/105470119487701?fref=pb –
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/142043582669258 – Homeschooling With Amazon Prime
* * *
“Do not train children to learning by force and harshness,
but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able
to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.”
* * *
“True freedom is impossible without a mind made free by discipline.”
~ Mortimer J. Adler, How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading