One of the most useful resources I know for a survey of issues that face homeschoolers and public school teachers are highlighted on Issues in Education. To listen online, visit http://www.issuesineducation.org.
The following are organizations that are fighting for YOUR rights. I hope you take the time to learn about and pray for the issues that affect all homeschoolers and many public school teachers.
- Homeschool Legal Defense – http://www.hslda.org/Landingpages
- Parental Rights – http://www.parentalrights.org
- Pacific Justice – pacificjustice.org/legal-edge, (916) 857-6900
- Educational Freedom Coalition – http://www.theeducationalfreedomcoalition.org
- Stop Common Core – http://www.stopcommoncore.com
- Faith and Freedom – http://www.faith-freedom.com, (888) 588-6888
- Alliance Defending Freedom – http://www.alliancedefendingfreedom.org, (800) 835-5233
- American Center for Law and Justice – http://aclj.org, (757) 226-2489
- Christian Legal Society – http://www.clsnet.org, (703) 642-1070
- National Legal Foundation – http://www.nlf.net, (757) 463-6133
- Rutherford Institute – http://www.rutherford.org, (804) 978-3888
- United States Justice Foundation – http://usjf.net, (760) 741-8086
* * *
The following are additional legal resources you should know about:
THE ADVOCATE RADIO PROGRAM
http://janetcarter.org/the-advocate-radio-program – “THE ADVOCATE RADIO PROGRAM is a “live” call-in talk show providing a forum for legal questions to be answered from a Biblical perspective. The objective is to help the listening audience resolve both their personal and legal problems, in accordance with the Word of God.”
If you believe a law is unjust, you can nullify, even if the defendant has broken that unjust law. Please keep that in mind next time you serve on jury duty. You can read more about jury nullification at American Jury Institute at http://fija.org/category/jury-nullification.
* * *
I have many friends that are also public school teachers, I post the following resources for teachers and parents to be aware of the issues the face educators.
OPTING OUT OF UNION DUES
Do you know what your union is spending dues on? You have the legal right (protected by federal law) to send ALL of your union dues to a charity you believe in, instead of seeing them support politicians and issues you would not even think of supporting. Learn more about opting out of your worker union at http://choosecharity.org. Pacific Justice Institute provides FREE legal representation for those that have opted out for religious reasons. To learn more, visit http://www.pacificjustice.org.
TEACHERS UNIONS AND THEIR INFLUENCE
Whenever I wonder why California public schools have financial problems I look at what the California Teachers Union supports. The following are just few articles to ponder why union dollars are not being put into better buildings and school supplies. These articles are my reminders to pray for public school children and their teachers. My site is not about bashing teachers. I think the problem with public schools is with the administrators, not the teachers.
- http://eagnews.org/cta-hypocrisy-exposed-by-vergara-ruling – June 12, 2014 – “The California Teachers Association is the most powerful special interest in California. They often run ads touting how much they care about education and our students, while at the same time steadfastly defending laws that make it virtually impossible to fire grossly ineffective teachers who can have a devastating impact on the education of students. Today a judge in Los Angeles exposed this hypocrisy by ruling that CTA-backed laws protecting ineffective teachers are illegal because they deprive our children of a quality education….”
- http://eagnews.org/study-no-connection-between-spending-student-outcomes – April 9, 2014 – “The takeaway from this study is that what we’ve done over the past 40 years hasn’t worked,” said Coulson, director of the Center For Educational Freedom at the CATO Institute. “The average performance change nationwide has declined 3 percent in mathematical and verbal skills. Moreover, there’s been no relationship, effectively, between spending and academic outcomes.”
- http://eagnews.org/could-california-teachers-unions-be-more-obvious-about-their-lack-of-interest-in-student-learning – May 28, 2014
- http://eagnews.org/study-no-connection-between-spending-student-outcomes –
- http://www.teachersunionexposed.com/dues.cfm – political power of teacher’s unions.
- OpenSecrets.org – is a nonpartisan guide to money’s influence on U.S. elections and public policy. Whether you’re a voter, journalist, activist, student or interested citizen, use this free site to shine light on our government.
- http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=L1300 – Count Cash & Make Change
- http://unionwatch.org/quick-facts – “Across the United States, public sector unions collect and spend at least $4.0 billion per year. Virtually all of this money is spent to influence politics, either directly through political contributions, or indirectly through “soft” money that unions deploy to mobilize “volunteers,” fund “educational” programs, and pay a permanent professional army of union employees who supposedly spend most of their time on collective bargaining but in reality are full-time political operatives. Source: Public Sector Unions Spend $4.0 Billion per Year in U.S. – March 23, 2012”
- http://unionwatch.org/category/education – news
- http://jameshartlinereport.blogspot.com/2008/08/california-teachers-association.html – August 19, 2008 – California Teachers Association Declares War On Marriage (Prop 8)
- http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/11/teachers-support-cop-killer – “Between negotiating for more benefits and teaching their students, the California Federation of Teachers has adopted a resolution of support for convicted cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.”
- http://justice.danielfaulkner.com/2011/09/faulkner-teachers-union-support-for-cop-killer-outrages-widow/#more-410 – September 2011
- http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/05/california-teachers-union-video-shows-rich-man-urinating-on-poor-to-make-case – December 5, 2012
- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2012/09/california-teachers-union-gives-another-69-million-to-prop-32-fight.html – September 6, 2012
- http://unionwatch.org/where-is-public-education-money-going – May 1, 2013
- http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/03/union-spends-teachers-money-on-politics-says-suit – May 3, 2013
- http://eagnews.org/california-union-dues-case-moves-closer-to-supreme-court – California union-dues case moves closer to Supreme Court – November 28, 2014
DOCUMENTARIES ABOUT EDUCATION
The following are documentaries to help educate you on the issues faced by homeschoolers and/or public school teachers:
- Check back. This is a note to myself to move those resources over here.