Middle School is when you should begin to set up your child’s high school transcript. I was dreading this, but now that I have made one I can honestly say this has been a huge source of encouragement for both my son and myself. Of course, this a rough draft, but this draft is now my outline to direct us from here (8th grade) to graduation.
I made my son’s high school transcript by following the instructions given by Lee Binz and Mary Schofield. Their books are listed below. I have or will comb through the rest of the books listed so I can glean ideas for course descriptions. Course descriptions help me map out the scope and sequence of courses I need to offer and also subjects my son wants to pursue.
Another huge benefit of writing a high school transcript early is that I can clearly see what books I need and do not need. I have been gathering books since my child was in kindergarten. They were mostly freebies from friends that finished their homeschooling journey. Soon I will sell off what I don’t need to raise funds for what I do need.
RESOURCES AT OUR LOCAL LIBRARY
- Setting the Records Straight: How to Craft Homeschool Transcripts and Course Descriptions for College Admission and Scholarships by Lee Binz. 2010
- When homeschooling gets tough by Diana Johnson. 2008
- I actually think homeschooling upper grades is easier, but in case you feel the opposite. This is for you.
- High School @ Home You Can Do It! by Diana Johnson. 2007 audio
- Homeshooling Highschool by Jeanne Gowen Dennis. 2004
- The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell. 2001
- Homeschooling for Success: How Parents Can Create a Superior Education for Their Child by Rebecca Kochenderfer. 2002
NOT AT THE LIBRARY
Although these are not at our local library, I wish they were. I am listing them here to remind myself to check out their online resources and keep a look out for them at book sales.
- The High School Handbook: Junior and Senior High School at Home, 7th Edition by Mary Schofield. 2013
- There is a California supplement can be purchased separately.
- College Without High School: A Teenager’s Guide to Skipping High School and Going to College by Blake Booles. 2009
- Homeschooled & Headed for College: Your Road Map for a Successful Journey by Denise Boiko. 2001
- Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+La by Barbara Edtl Shelton. 1999
HOMESCHOOLERS SHARING HOW THEY DO SCHOOL
Because I need liberal doses of comfort food for my soul.
- http://www.thedaisyhead.com/2013/08/blog-homeschooling-high-school-homeschool-high-link – Why I Blog About Homeschooling High School