Test taking skills are just as vital for job applications as they are for those who apply for college. It is highly recommended that homeschoolers start test prepping no later than 7th grade because it is the wording of the tests where most students stumble. Starting in 7th grade gives you time to offer test prepping in smaller increments. You need this time to work with your student on fully understanding the language of the test as well as practicing speedy test-taking techniques. Our local library has zillions of test-taking resources. My current favorite is produced by “Standard Deviants.”
Updated as of March 2014, Khan Academy and College Board have formed a rare partnership. As a result, SAT prep instruction will be offered for FREE on Khan Academy. For more information on this new partnership, visit https://www.khanacademy.org/sat.
Update as of January 2014, Khan Academy has added FREE college prep to their line of online instruction. Fore more information, visit http://www.khanacademy.org/about/blog/post/73523611998/khan-academy-launches-new-college-prep-initiative.
To learn more about the SAT from its makers, visit http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat.
For advice on how to prepare for the SAT, visit:
- http://youtu.be/SpuMLnoqw6Q – Ace the SAT and get FREE college
For SAT Test practice, visit:
- http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/answered-question-of-the-day – FREE SAT question of the day.
- www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat-math/v/sat-prep–test-1-section3-part-1 – A series of FREE SAT Test videos. It is highly recommended that you practice math word problems each day to be comfortable with the wording.
- http://ineedapencil.ck12.org – FREE SAT test preparation and online textbooks
- http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice – FREE SAT practice tests
- www.hslda.org/tour/satprep.asp – FREE or hugely discounted SAT-prep software program for HSLDA members.
- http://christian-student/?sku=10-1-512 – SAT & College Preparation Course for the Christian Student by Dr. James Stobaugh. Published in 2011. Critical thinking and essay writing are major themes within the SAT. Stobaugh coaches the Christian student who might otherwise passionately respond to a leading essay question without hitting the marks that the test is measuring.
- http://ifigure.com – iFigure provides links to online calculators and worksheets – “These are interactive, educational tools that provide information to help in planning, solving and making decisions for a multitude of problems and tasks that come up daily, such as buying a home, checking on your health, investing money, figuring business profits, making statistical comparisons, or calculating pump pressure.”
- http://www.aceministries.com/assessments – Diagnostic and assessments – “Accelerated Christian Education® diagnostic testing begins with simple concepts and continues through more advanced thinking. Successful completion of the tests indicates readiness for high school level curriculum.”
- http://freerice.com – FREE vocabulary quiz for a good cause
- http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs/mathguide.asp – Preparing for the California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE): A Mathematics Study Guide.
- http://www.collegeboard.org – SAT Test Information & On-Line Registration
- http://www.act.org – ACT Test Information & On-Line Registration